Sunday, July 17, 2005

NYT public editor ducks op-ed problem

Michelle Malkin links to NYT public editor Byron Calame's July 17 column which begins:

Upholding the journalistic integrity of The New York Times requires a lot of care.

That care apparently doesn't include responding to e-mails noting factual errors in a NYT op-ed column and requesting an explanation.

I've twice asked Calame to read and respond to my post: New York Times op-ed makes false claims.

The false claims appeared in a June 28 op-ed by Lucian K. Truscott IV in which he agrues that the Army lies to young officers, and therefore has trouble retaining them.

There was a time when the Army did not have a problem retaining young leaders - men like Dwight Eisenhower, George Patton, George Marshall, Omar Bradley and my grandfather, Lucian K. Truscott Jr. Having endured the horrors of World War I trenches, these men did not run headlong out of the Army in the 1920's and 30's when nobody wanted to think of the military, much less pay for it. They had made a pact with each other and with their country, and all sides were going to keep it."

Truscott’s claims that the five future generals “endured the horrors of World War I trenches” and “made a pact with each other” are false, something he, as a West Point grad and grandson of one of the officers who was a friend of the other four, surely knows.

If you're saying to yourself that Eisenhower, Bradley and Lucian K. Truscott Jr., one of World War II's great corps commanders, never went overseas during World War I; and that Marshall never saw combat while he was in France during WWI; and that their biographers have never said the five officers made a pact with one another, you'd be right on all counts.

So how can I get Calame and the Times to acknowledge the false claims presented as facts in an op-ed column?

Please take a look at my post and send along your suggestions.

Thanks, John

2 comments:

The Florida Masochist said...

John,

I didn't even catch that mistake when I read Truscott's Op-ed piece. And I'm a History buff who's read biographies on all but Truscott Jr.

On another note- John you should put a links section in your blog. I sometimes see something in another blogger's links and then go visit myself.

Anonymous said...

I think you should get a big box of clues and sent it to the NYT.

God knows that NYC in general could use the leftovers.

To the point - I didn't catch that either. Good catch.