Tuesday, January 17, 2006

At the library today

At the library today, I stood second in the checkout line, with a women ahead of me. In front of us at the counter were a mother and young child.

The mother was passing books to the child, who in turn passed them to the Liberian for scanning, after which the Liberian gave them back to the child who then put the books in a carrying sack.

The mother sometimes stopped and told the child to "Look at the Liberian" or "Say, 'thank you.'"

At one point, the mother turned to the women ahead of me and said, “I’m sorry to be holding you up.”

“No, please, I was just enjoying it,” the woman replied. “It’s so nice to see a parent teaching children manners.”

A second later both women looked at me. I smiled and nodded.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha!

I got shushed by a librarian the other day because my cell phone rang. (I quickly hit 'reject' and it was silent.)

I told her that if she wasn't going to corral the kids she should certainly leave me alone.

She said that the kids don't listen.

-AC