Wednesday, February 08, 2006

The Churchill Series - Feb. 8, 2006

(One of a series of daily posts on the life of Winston S. Churchill.)

I'm traveling today and tomorrow so this post is short and light. Let’s enjoy some of Churchill's less well known humorous remarks.

He loved poking fun at his political foe and long-time friend, Clement Atlee. "There goes a modest man who has much to be modest about" is perhaps the best known barb Churchill sent Atlee's way.

Less well-known is my favorite Atlee barb: "An empty taxi arrived at 10 Downing Street, and when the door was opened, Atlee got out."

Regarding the American Secretary of State John Foster Dulles: "He's the only bull I know who carries with him his own china shop."

At his own expense: "I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught."

"I'm just preparing my impromptu remarks."

And these wise words for all of us: "However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results."

I hope you come back tomorrow.

John

0 comments: