Tuesday, February 07, 2006

If The News & Observer's N&O Live was really live

With readership and advertising revenues declining, MSM newspaper chains now sponsor at their papers’ online sites Q&A sessions between readers and their reporters and journalists.

The chains hope letting readers “talk to real journalists” will build trust in their papers, thereby helping stem the flood of readers to other news sources, especially bloggers.

The McClatchy Co. chain owns my local liberal trending left newspaper, The Raleigh News & Observer.

McClatchy and The N&O call their Q&A show N&O Live. Only their show isn’t live. It’s previewed and scripted.

If you want to “appear on N&O Live,” you must submit your question in advance. N&O staffers read it and decide if it should be used on N&O Live. Then etc., etc.

So that’s N&O Live?

But suppose N&O Live was really live. What would the show be like?

It might be like this :

Host: “We have N&O public editor Ted Vaden with us today. Our first caller.”

‘Hello, Mr. Vaden, this is Johnincarolina and I want..." (click)

Host: “We have a second caller from Chapel Hill. Are you there, second caller?

“Yes, and I don’t really have a question. I just wanted to tell Mr. Vaden what a stupendous newspaper The N&O is.

And how great I thought it was that The N&O never said anything during the Alito hearings about Sen. Teddy Kennedy belonging to that all male Owl Club. You know, the one that bars women from membership.

I mean, first right wingers complained about how Kennedy treats women. Then they complain he belongs to an all male club.

I mean, make up your minds, right wingers. And give the guy a break.”

Host: “Er, yes, but do you have a question, Chapel Hill caller?”

“Well, I suppose I do. It’s …it’s how does The N&O resist all that pressure from the vast right wing conspiracy?

I’ll hang up now so Mr. Vaden can answer my question.”
Readers, would you like a show where you could call in your N&O questions live and without review?

And would you be upset if The McClatchy Co. and The N&O called the show something like N&O Really Live?

BTW - How much did readers and advertisers pay whoever dreamed up N&O Live?

0 comments: