Monday, March 06, 2006

Raleigh News & Observer still not reporting Halimi killing, French reaction

Last Thursday, Mar. 2, I posted “Why is The Raleigh News & Observer silent on the Halimi crimes and what followed?”

Why hadn’t The N&O reported the Jan 20 kidnapping in Paris of a young French Jew, Ilan Halimi, and his subsequent torture and killing by a gang based in one of the neighborhoods where rioting occurred.

Why hadn’t The N&O reported France has been shocked and shaken by details of the gruesome crimes and the government’s admission, after initial denials, that anti-Semitism was a motive for them.

Many newspapers and wire services have reported on the crimes and French reaction.

For example, a Feb. 20 Washington Post story headlined:

France sees racist motive in brutal torture death

And just yesterday, Mar. 5, the New York Times ran a lengthy story:

Torture and Death of Jew Deepen Fears in France


But from The N&O: nothing.

Why?

Twice last week, I contacted N&O public editor Ted Vaden. We talked first by phone. Vaden said he hadn’t heard anything about Halimi but he’d check with “our news people” and get back to me.

Two days later Vaden hadn’t gotten back , so I sent him this email:

Dear Ted:

This post relates to my phone call Tuesday.
http://johninnorthcarolina.blogspot.com/2006/03/why-is-raleigh-news-observer-silent-on.html

I'll publish your response.

Best,

John
Here’s what I got back from Vaden:,
John.
I communicated your concern to our nation/world editor. Ted Vaden
I’ve heard nothing from the nation/world editor.

While The N&O has failed to report anything about the Halimi crimes and France’s reaction, it did find time and space in its A section for a detailed report about a 67 year-old Amish man in Ohio who spent thousands of dollars to obtain the services of a prostitute.

You can contact Vaden at: ted.vaden@newsobserver.com

You can contact executive editor for news Melanie Sill at: Melanie.Sill@newsobserver.com

I’m going to continue to ask why The N&O has refused to publish anything on this most important story.

I hope you do too.

The N&O is a McClatchy Company newspaper.

2 comments:

JWM said...

pedro,

Thanks for pointing out my error.

You didn't come across at all as flaming.

I like people who, in a nice way, point out my errors.

I hope you continue to visit.

Best,

John

Anonymous said...

John, we don't have "errors", we have "reevaluations".