Friday, May 12, 2006

When JinC regulars poked fun at themselves, I thought of Churchill

A few days ago a JinC post included advice to young men and women: Avoid drunks.

I added that really that was good advice fro all of us.

Well, that promted tongue-in-cheek reactions by some JinC regeulars.

Samples:

"What????? John, do you really want me to have a solitary life? What did I ever do to you?"

"Quit telling people to avoid me."

"I'll drink to that!"

You get the idea.

I made the following response on the thread:

I like people who poke fun at themselves.

Since you're both Churchill admirers, I offer the following anecdote on the chance you don't already know it.

During May and June 1940, Churchill made a number of trips to France in an effort to keep her in the war. He was always accompanied by Cabinet colleagues and aides.

On the return from one such trip, Churchill and his party crossed the channel on a Royal Navy destroyer.

In mid-channel, debris from sunken ships floated past the destroyer. Churchill and some of his party went to the rail to have a look.

Within minutes they all saw a large door float by. Emblazoned in its center were the initials: WC.

All were silent until Churchill turned to the others and asked, "Do any of you think Hitler knew I would be here?"

Best,

John

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»