Sunday, May 21, 2006

Why I admire the Duke lacrosse judge

Yesterday I told regular visitors I’d post today about Durham Superior Court Judge Ronald (Ron) L. Stephens, the presiding judge in the proceedings relating to the Duke lacrosse case.

I’m a Durham resident and am not an attorney. However, I’ve spent a lot of time during the last 30 years in the courts and with law enforcement agencies in this part of North Carolina. (No, I’m not a career criminal. It’s all been honest professional work, mostly as an expert witness.)

I’ve had a number of dealings with Stephens, both when he was the Durham DA and later when he went on the bench. Also, although he and I are by no means personal friends, in a town the size of Durham, people often “bump into” each other at youth activity events, charity fundraisers, etc. So I’ve has those contacts too.

I admire Ron Stephens. I think he has the qualities a good judge should have: He’s very intelligent. He listens well. In court he explains his rulings carefully and clearly. He speaks no louder than necessary and always to the point. He won’t use five words when four will do.

He has a fine understanding of his fellow human beings; and can be very patient as they struggle to “get it right.” But don’t offer him baloney. He hates it, and will toss it right back at you.

Stephens is not one to hold up law books and opine at length, but the best attorneys I know say he knows and cares about “the law.” Often I’ve heard them say he sees judging as a calling.

Is he tough? Yes, whenever necessary. At first some people aren't aware of the toughness. That can be a mistake. Don’t push Judge Stephens. He’s no Lance Ito.

If you were to meet Stephens around town, you’d find him a nicely groomed, conservatively dressed guy who’s easy to talk to, doesn’t take himself too seriously, and wants to help you if he can. You might also notice he has a nice sense of humor.

But back to tough. Stephens will often have to be just that as “activists” with no respect for due process and law work to turn the Duke proceedings into a circus while media stand by ready to report and broadcast their assaults on justice.

Last Thursday, May 18, some “activists” made their first move during Reade Seligmann’s first court appearance. As reported the following day in the Durham Herald Sun:

With protesters demonstrating outside the judicial building, Superior Court Judge Ron Stephens admonished those in the packed courtroom to be quiet and respect the proceeding.

"I'm not sure why everybody is here, but this is a court of law," Stephens said at the outset. "This is my court ... If anybody thought this was a public forum in which anybody could stand and speak, that is not going to be allowed. I will put you in jail. If you stay, you have to abide by my rules."
The activists will be back. They’ll keep trying.

The rest of us are going to have to do a lot of speaking up for justice. In a post tomorrow, I’ll share some ideas about what we can do here in Durham and North Carolina.

Full disclosure: I’m mostly retired now. Except as a prospective juror, I don’t expect to ever appear in Stephens’ court.

And even if I were to appear again as an expert witness, this post will count for nothing with Ron Stephens, which is another reason why I admire him.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That crack about "career criminal" brought back some memories. Some day I'll tell you about them, maybe. NO, I wasn't one either.

Anonymous said...

I read that remark too - thought it boded well for the justice side of the city, if not the political establishment side.

-AC

Anonymous said...

I was a little disappointed that a death threat made in the court only resulted in a "talking to". I know that it happened when the judge was not sitting, but it was clearly audible to several people and should have been dealt with more severely if things are not to spiral out of control.

JWM said...

thanks straightarrow and anon AC.

locomotive breath,

Where did you get the "death threat" info? I've heard that a threat was made inside the court but I couldn't nail it.

Of course, “justice will be done, rapist,” coming from a NBP party member is effectively a death threat but that was made outside the courthouse. Disgusting how casually media treated it.

Also, the Char. Observer reported Jackie Wagstaff was at the courthouse but I couldn't nail whether she was in the courtroom as well.

I'm fighting off a bladder infection but I'm going to try to get to the courthouse today and talk to people I trust to find out what they say happened where and by whom.

To locomotive breath and others,

Please continue to point out important parts of the story I miss. It's been a real help.

Thank you all.

John

Anonymous said...

I'm talking about the "dead man walking" taunt from the NBP guy behind RS in the court before the judge entered. I guess one could come down on either side of whether that's a "death threat" per se. I would consider it to be.

Anonymous said...

Dead Man Walking was called out in court and reporter/host Greta Van Susteren was in the courtroom and she reported that comment and WORSE.

She said the F word was used in comments directed at the defendant and she said the she did NOT feel safe in the courtroom.

Disappointing in that this was very predictable.

Outside the courtroom was worse.

Anonymous said...

a NC lawyer in the courtroom said that the comments definitely would be, at a minimum, communicating threats in North Carolina.

Anonymous said...

I don't look for Stephens to shut down the run-away train. The Durham machine has served him well. Too late to abandon it now, I'm afraid.

I think he'll dodge the hard motions and pass the hot-potato.

Anonymous said...

Judge RONALD Stephens is the MOST unprofessional, unfair and "partial" judge I have ever witnessed.

And I'm not a criminal, district attorney, expert witness, court reporter, juror, defense attorney. I've only had the unfortunate experience of witnessing his LACK of professionalism, fairness and impartialness in a trial. His twin brother, however, is the exact opposite of him.