Friday, October 13, 2006

The Churchill Series – Oct. 13, 2006

(One of a series of weekday posts on the life of Winston S. Churchill.)

Following the Conservatives’ election victory on October 25, 1951, Churchill became Prime Minister again. He got right to work forming a new government.
The man who served during WW II as Churchill’s Principal Private Secretary, Jock Colville, tells us about a call to serve in the new government.

Colville was with his wife enjoying a day at the Newmarket races when :

As I watched the races and contemplated my losses (endemic, as far as I am concerned, on a race-course) an agitated official emerged from the Jockey Club Stand and asked if I was Mr. Colville. When I assented, he said, “It’s the Prime Minister wants you on the telephone.”

“Whatever he asks you to do,” advised my innately cautious wife, say ‘No’”

[On the phone I heard the] familiar voice: “Would you, if it is not inconvenient (but do pray say if it is), take a train to London and come to see me?”

“Tomorrow morning?”

“No, this afternoon.”

Of course I did, and was invited to be the new Prime Minister’s Principal Private Secretary.
In future posts, I plan to say more about the relationship between Churchill and Colville.

Have a nice weekend and be sure to watch 60 Minutes the Sunday evening. There’ll be an episode on the Duke Hoax.
________________________________
Source citation to follow.

0 comments: