Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Duke's mismanagement

Duke Chemistry Professor writes in The Chronicle today:

Last April I wrote to The Chronicle in support of Mike Pressler, former coach of men's lacrosse at Duke. At that time I was concerned that the decision to fire him had been premature, coming only a few weeks after the fateful Buchanan Street party, and certainly long before all of the facts were known. Now, six months later, it is quite clear that my concerns were justified.

I do not ascribe to President Brodhead's position that someone had to fall on his sword to atone for the March 13 lacrosse party. But even if one does buy into that silly notion, why was it coach Pressler? Certainly the several reports emanating from President Brodhead's committee's looking into the lacrosse incident identified a number of individuals more culpable than Pressler. If the goal were to send a message, wouldn't firing Executive Vice President Tallman Trask, Athletics Director Joe Alleva, Vice President Larry Moneta or Dean of Students Sue Wasiolek-or all of them-have been more appropriate?

As displeased as I am with Pressler's firing, my biggest concern has always been with Duke's treatment of the student athletes at the center of the storm. These kids were abandoned by their university. At least one of the indicted students, perhaps all three, was trespassed from Duke property. They were denied the presumption of innocence, despite the mounting evidence that the case against them is made of smoke and mirrors and is fatally flawed procedurally. They have been pilloried by their faculty and scorned by the administration. They are pariahs.

As a Duke faculty member I regard my students in much the same way I regard my children. When my kids do something wrong, I demand accountability. When they break the rules they pay the price, whatever that might be.

With that accountability, however, comes support. My kids know I love them and that I will do everything I can to help them through the rough times. That is what families do. I treat my students the same way.

Duke students should expect nothing less from their university.
You can read the rest of Baldwin's column here.

I’ve many friends who were Baldwin’s students. What he says about how he treats them is just what my friends say he does. He was for many of them their “favorite professor.” Many of them are physicians who tell story after story about how Baldwin was demanding and went the extra mile to help students meet those demands.

I'm traveling today but I'll say more about Baldwin's column tonight.

Hat Tip: A blog friend

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

From Talk Left

NEWS!! Duke Official: "Considerable Support" Offered to LAX Players
« on: Today at 02:47:49 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A Duke parent (not associated with the lacrosse team) sent an e-mail to President Brodhead questioning why the indicted players had not received more support from Duke University. The parent received the following message back from a Duke official:

"President Brodhead asked me to respond to your email to him about our support for the students and alumnus charged in the case. Let me assure you that we're in regular contact with them and their families and offering considerable support. As you know, for the reasons articulated by the president on numerous occasions, Duke cannot pre-judge the outcome of the case regardless of media accounts."

"We all hopes this ends soon."

Anonymous said...

Personally, I would like to see Pressler triumph in a lawsuit that puts Duke completely out of business. Yeah, I know all you Dukies think that is too harsh. I think it isn't harsh enough.

Duke has betrayed its trust, the law, the constitution, fair play, its students, and the principles this nation is founded upon, hence the nation.

They have destroyed lives in their moral cowardice. Pressler is the only one with enough track record to be able to quantify the harm. Times three for malice.

To those of you who think my judgment would be too harsh, think "Old Yeller". No matter how good a dog he had been, when he became rabid he was too dangerous to allow to survive. So, no, it would not bother me in the least to see them bankrupted. Not just because what they have done is unconscienceable (sp?), but as a warning to others that from here out there will be a price to pay for betrayal.

Until we make it understood, they and their ilk will always gamble to curry favor with the radical element,knowing that there is no penalty for betraying their trust. We must demonstrate that there,by God, is a downside.

Anonymous said...

As an alum, I don't want Duke out of business. I just want a good housecleaning. It starts with the Board of Trustees who selected Brodhead.

Read the bylaws

http://www.duke.edu/web/ous/bylaws00.htm

Read Article II, Section 2 on Nominations and Elections

Nice little club they have for themselves there. I have three diplomas from Duke University (signed by its last decent President Terry Sanford) and I've never been contacted about voting for the board. Anyone know who casts the votes for the alumni?

Anonymous said...

It's "unconscionable," (meaning: unreasonable; against the conscience).

Anonymous said...

There has been no contact.

Anonymous said...

4:09 states" Let me assure you that we're in regular contact with them and their families, etc." there has been no contact.

Anonymous said...

Thank you anon. I knew it went back to scienter, but had a mental block where to cut it. I was too impatient to wait for it to come to me.

Anonymous said...

Did anyone see the response to Prof Baldwin's editorial? It came from Prof Wiegman who took him to task for using the term "Tar and feather". Here's a link to Wiegman's letter...

http://www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2006/10/25/Letters/Cultivate.Community.Of.Critical.Thought-2400650.shtml?norewrite200610261402&sourcedomain=www.dukechronicle.com

Her argument is so ridiculous and picayune its amazing.

His response...

http://www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2006/10/25/Letters/insensitive.Language.Unintentional-2400648.shtml?norewrite200610261409&sourcedomain=www.dukechronicle.com

I only hope that he responded to this at all to show the farcical nature of PCness on campus.

It is altogether possible that Prof Wiegman was dropped on her head as a child.

Anonymous said...

First of all, I think Pressler ought to sue Duke University for slander and defamation of character. He certainly has the right. They had NO BUSINESS getting rid of him until ALL of the facts were in and the LAX players had PROPER legal representation!!!