Sunday, October 01, 2006

This made me smile

Duke’s Homecoming Weekend ended today: a beautiful October Sunday.

For part of the afternoon I visited with friends at the Women’s Soccer game.(Duke 3- NC State 0. It was a fine game with handshakes afterwards and players from both teams leaving the field together before splitting to meet family and friends.)

During the game, there was, of course, a lot of: “Hi. This is wonderful. I haven’t seen you in years.”

While I was sitting with a woman friend who’s a gastroenterologist, another woman dropped by. She was a classmate of my gastroenterologist friend. But my friend didn’t immediately recognize her.

Well, that was no problem. For the next 10 minutes, the two women sat side by side and “caught up” on families, careers and former classmates.

When the woman got ready to leave, my friend joked: “I’m sorry I didn’t recognize you. It must be age. I don’t recognize anyone anymore unless they’re bending over.”

The other woman laughed. “I understand,” she said. “Next year I’ll wear a hospital gown.”

0 comments: