Monday, October 30, 2006

To The Chronicle: Letter 1

Readers’ Note: On Oct. 27, Duke University’s student newspaper, The Chronicle, published an editorial, “Blogger’s get point, miss complexity.”

If you haven’t read the editorial, I hope you read it and its comment thread. See also The Chronicle's explanation of the process by which it "writes" editorials.

I’m responding to The Chronicle with a series of electronic letters which I’ll be post at JinC. Each will be headed "To The Chronicle" and enumerated.

Letter 1 follows.

John
_________________________________________________

Editorial Board
The Chronicle
Duke University

Dear Editorial Board members:

I’m a Duke alum and blog as John in Carolina, one of the two bloggers specifically mentioned in your Oct. 27 editorial, “Blogger’s get point, miss complexity.”

In this and a few subsequent letters, I’ll respond to some of the statements you made.

I’m going to include the letters in posts at www.johnincarolina.com. I'll send you links so you can respond on the comment threads if you wish. I hope many of you will.

Except when stated otherwise, I speak only for myself and my blog. I'm no more responsible for the virtues and faults of other blogs, including those that cover the Duke Hoax, than you are for the virtues and faults of other student newspapers. Blogs are a very diverse lot, a fact your editorial ignored.

You claim:

[T]here are no editors in the blogosphere and few checks to make bloggers consistently accountable for what they write.
Actually, there are many editors in the blogosphere. There’s even a blog called The Editors’ Blog at which five Raleigh News & Observer editors blog.

If you’ll allow that an editor is someone who does editorial work, then we can agree that I have hundreds of editors. You’ll find them “working” on the comment threads at www.johnincarolina.com.

The other day I included in a post: "I hope your there." An hour later an “editor” commented: “’I hope your there.’ YOU ARE. Please, use correct grammar.”

I corrected my mistake and thanked the reader. You’ll find all that here.

Recently, I made a far more serious mistake. It concerned President Brodhead.

I pasted into one of my posts a post by Tom Bevan who blogs at Realclearpolitics.com.

Bevan’s post included:
Broadhead's knee-jerk reaction to believe the word of a stripper over his students, to cancel the season and expel members of the team from the University without giving them so much as a chance to defend themselves and prove their innocence is reprehensible and unforgivable.
As you all know, President Brodhead didn’t expel any lax players. I should have caught the false statement. Readers did catch it and called it to my attention.

I immediately updated my post with a correction and apology to readers. I took other actions that included letting Bevan know of the error. Bevan did what good bloggers typically do. He promptly posted a correction and apology for what he called a “significant error.”

While I have no reason to believe President Brodhead ever reads JinC, I sent him an explanation and apology. To further call readers' attention to my mistake, I set up a stand alone post: “My mistake – I apologize (updated).”

One reason I acted as I did is I believe most JinC readers, including many who are very critical of President Brodhead, expected me to promptly and fully correct my error.

If I hadn’t, a lot of them would’ve started thinking about moving on. One mouse click and a reader need never again be at JinC.

That one mouse click is a powerful “check” on bloggers like me who want to attract and hold readers who demand reliability and honesty from their news and opinion sources.

But that "check" pales beside the most important “checks” both bloggers and MSM journalists have if they care to use them.

I hope you all know I have in mind respect for readers, a commitment to truth, and a desire at the end of the day to be able to say: “I saw right and wrong; and tried to do right.”

Thank you.

John
www.johnincarolina.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, how I wish every newspaper had the same accountability as your blog. Newspapers every where should be very nervous. The freemarket is alive and well.

AMac said...

JinC, you letter puts things in a very useful perspective.

There's the irony of the Chronicle's editors missing the complexities of the issues they opine about. Beyond that, blogging as an 'institution' has raised the bar on accountability in a way that poses particular challenges to newspapers.

Bloggers are expected to provide links to the source material they refer to in a post. An author who doesn't do so is announcing his or her laziness to the (potential) audience. More and more, making it difficult for readers to readily check references for themselves almost implies a willingness to mislead.

Contrast this degree of accountability with a printed newspaper account. Too often, it boils down to the reporter or op-ed writer saying, "trust my interpretation."

In the case of the Brodhead-defending editorial in question, it's hard to know if its writer/s had in mind some articles that persuasively explain Brodhead's actions over the course of the rape hoax. Links to such would have immensely helped the case the "Bloggers miss complexity" author/s was/were trying to make.

It's worth noting that the online version of the Chronicle is quite link-poor. Perhaps rising to blogger standards is technically demanding for the paper, or perhaps the staff has concerns about making the online version more useful than the paper one.

JWM said...

Anon @ 2:42,

Your right about bloggers being accountable.

Have you been to the Editors' Blog at the Raleigh N&O?

I hope you visit there and read the lacrosse posts the editors put up and then go down the comment threads. Do the readers even deconstruct!

Amac,

Good comment.

I also thought your remarks on the Chron. editorial comment thread were very well put.

Finally, a while back you left a comment here to the effect you'd criticized me for saying Brodhead wanted to see the students put on trial but after listening to Brodhead and thinking about things, you'd come to see I was right.

I bring the matter up for two reasons:

1) I didn't acknowledge you comment in the first place.

2) I always think more of a person who matter-of-factly says, "I was wrong."

A hat tip to you, Amac.

I hope you'll let me know you've seen this message.

Thank you both.

John

AMac said...

jwm,

Thanks for your thoughts.

President Brodhead's actions paint him as a weak person, rather than a malign one. I suspect that if he had a time machine, he'd travel back to March and do things differently. Today, he has a clearer view of the merits of the case, and also of the agenda of his allies among the Arts & Sciences faculty.

In my opinion, he has also dug himself into a hole, and may see no alternative but to continue digging.

Consider two outcomes:

(1) The rape case is dismissed tomorrow.

(2) The three suspects are brought to trial in 2007, and acquitted, or convicted with the verdict reversed on appeal.

If (1) takes place, I suspect blood will be in the water. Suddenly, newspaper sharks will start asking, "at what point were the suspects' innocence and the prosecution's misconduct evident? Blog readers know that the answer is "April," not "November." Like Captain Renault, reporters and editors will be shocked, shocked! to discover same. Brodhead's 'We are eager for our students to be proved innocent' at trial attitude will come to be seen in a particularly unattractive light. The contrast to his earlier defense of Due Process in the case of Duke grad student Yektan Turkyilmaz in Armenia will be inescapable.

The prospect of energizing high-dollar-value civil lawsuits against Duke and perhaps against certain faculty (for possibly libelous remarks) must also weigh on Brodhead.

But if outcome (2) comes to pass (the case against the three men proceeds to trial), it appears to me that Brodhead's vulnerability will be greatly reduced. One talking point on acquittal or reversal will be, "the system worked!" Beyond that, "reasonable doubt;" the aphorism where there's smoke, there's fire will be in play. "D.A. Nifong's case couldn't have been wholly without merit, or it never would have gone to trial... those arrogant privileged Dukies might not have raped that woman... but I'll bet they were guilty of something. No wonder Brodhead withheld judgement and kept his distance from these players. No wonder he didn't get caught up in procedural matters on their behalf."

Perhaps, following this script, President Brodhead dreams of bringing this chapter to a close by acting as "a uniter and not a divider." In a heartfelt speech, he can urge the Duke Community to heed the lessons of the Committees he appointed, and look towards the future.

In this vision, only some student-athletes and dyspeptic bloggers will be left out of the emerging consensus.

But then, there are always a few people who are willing to spoil a perfectly fine party.