Thursday, November 30, 2006

Cash Michaels responds

Readers' Note:

On Monday I posted "About DA Mike Nifong." I asked columnist Cash Michaels to respond to it. He has. Below is first the "About DA Mike Nifong" post in case you're "just walking in." Then Michaels' response. Then an email I'm about to send him saying "thank you" and touching a few other matters.

John
___________________________________________________

Random House’s Unabridged Dictionary defines knifing as “to attempt to defeat or undermine in a secret or underhanded way.”

And in Wilmington Journal columnist Cash Michaels’ most recent column (online) we find this paragraph:

Duke Three supporters have also blasted Pres. Brodhead for not speaking out against what they believe to be a “false prosecution” of the defendants by Durham District Attorney Mike Knifing, based on reportedly scant evidence and an allegedly corrupted police photo ID lineup. (bold added)
Well, what do you think? Understandable typo of the kind we all make or did Michaels intend to just come right out and ......?

I plan to drop Michaels an email later today and ask him.

I’ll let you know what I hear back.

In the meantime, if Dr. Freud reads this, I hope he'll comment.

I found Michaels’ column at Friends of Duke University’s media links page.
_______________________________________________

Now Michaels' email:

Dear John in Carolina:

Thank you for your missive. Your website, along with Liestoppers and Durham-in-Wonderland, is one of the more respectful, if not respectable Duke Three supportive sites. Doesn't mean I always agree, but I do approve of the civil tone in comparison with Johnsville News and others.

I actually saw your site regarding the "Mike Knifing" typo when you posted, so I was aware of it.

To your questions:

Because it was a banquet (and a longrunning one at that, the was no Q & A with Duke University Pres. Brodhead at the Durham NAACP function. Since I left before it ended (indeed it still may be going on), I did not get a chance to private speak with Pres. Brodhead.

Currently, I have no plans to interview him. My coverage has been more process and issue oriented. I beleive his message to Durham's Black community was clear - there should be a presumption of innocence; we shouldn't allow the explosive allegations to tear Durham apart; and this episode tests all that the civil rights movement taught us.

Any more, let me know.

Cash Michaels
____________________________________________

Dear Cash:

Thanks for responding fully and promptly.

Your editor, Mary Alice Jervay Thatch, let me know it was as most people thought the sort of typo we all make. She asked that I link to the corrected column and that's done by virtue of my reposting here my first post which contains a link to your column.

I appreciate your grouping me with Durham-in-Wonderland and Liestoppers. I think it shows that at least in this instance you've been a kind rather than tough judge.

About Johnsville News I hope we can agree to disagree.

JiC readers will appreciate your answers to my questions as do I.

Are you planning to post on KC Johnson's "Green Light for Nifong" and "The Stubbornnes of Facts" posts? I think many people would be interested to learn your take on them.

For my part, while I don't agree with KC every time, I have great respect for his reporting and commentary. I think his two latest posts take our understanding of the events last March and April to a new level.

Again, Cash, thank you.

Best,

John

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks John

Good to see there was no claim of racial bias or emotions in your "Knifing" post.

Anonymous said...

I believe the Duke 3 are innocent and this case should be dismissed. One of my concerns with modern journalism is the fact the reporters temper the stories with their own bias. That is a part of how this case became so enflamed. I can not argue with Cash on his refusal to give his own views - THE FACTS MAMN - JUST THE FACTS