Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Bulge Remembrance – 12-20-06

Readers’ Note: This continues an occasional series meant to recall the Battle of the Bulge and honor American and other Allied forces and the local citizens who helped them. The first series post included this quote from Hugh Cole’s The Ardennes: Battle of the Bulge:

The mettle of the American soldier was tested in the fires of adversity and the quality of his response earned for him the right to stand shoulder to shoulder with his forebears of Valley Forge, Fredericksburg, and the Marne.
______________________________________________________

Here’s a very useful site: --- The Battle of the Bulge
The Ardennes Offensive: Dec. 16, 1944 - Jan. 25, 1945.


The site's by an "amateur." (they often do the best work) It's almost entirely commercial free, and offers many links to unit histories and other battle information sources.

You’ll also find a reliable, compact explanation of the battle illustrated with a few maps that are among the most informative ones I’ve seen on the web.

I hope you spend some time at the site. You’ll be well-rewarded.

Hat Tip to GPrestonian for sharing some WW II and family history involving an uncle who served with the 3rd Armored Division in Normandy and the Breakout until critically wounded during a fierce tank fight.

We must never forget; and we must teach the young.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much, John, for the article and the hat tip. My Uncle really appreciated your thanks & comments, and is looking forward to me showing him this series.

But there ya go ;>) - it's 3rd or 3d Armored, or even 3AD. Divisions 'always' have the numeral.

Armies have the number written out, as in Bradley's First Army or Patton's Third Army.

Most think that's what led to the confusion of attributing many of 3rd Armored's accomplishments to Patton's Third Army. Both storied units, of course.

JWM said...

GPrestonian,

Sorry for the "Third" error. It's fixed now.

Thanks for pointing it out.

I'll be back here before tomorrow evening.

Look for a comment.

Brain dead now.

John

JWM said...

GPrestonian,

I'm always reluctant to intrude on a vet except to say "Thanks."

That said, your Uncle's service deserves recording across time and place.

I'd put something about him on the blog main page except for the fact that that could draw lots of fakes.

I've no doubt, based on your repeated posting and extremely careful attention to facts, that all you've said it true.

I'm trying to figure out a way to post main page on your Uncle's service if you are willing without opening the door to false claimers as per Precious.

Any ideas?

Is any part of his service record and/or recollections already on the net?

I'll keep looking here.

Sorry for any sp or gram errors.

In haste.

Best,

JOhn

Anonymous said...

Hey John. I've been fortunate in that my Uncle has been willing, unlike many WWII vets, to talk about his war experiences for a number of years. I can't remember just how long, or if he was so open when I was a child and not as aware of the War, etc. I will say this - I've always known that he was in WWII - kinda hard to miss the missing arm! ;>)

All that to say that he's never been a braggart about his service, and I'm not sure how he'd feel about what you're proposing. His attitude seems to be that he was just 1 of many hundreds of thousands, and considers himself lucky to have survived.

Some of his story is in a book written by (I think) a local New Orleanian who wanted to record the stories of some of the Greatest Generation before they all passed away. I need to find that book title & I'll send it to you. Tell ya what, I'll dig around on your blog & see if you have an email address listed. If not, I'll post mine back so we can communicate offline as it were.

JWM said...

Dear GPrestonian,

You've put things very well.

I understand somewhat what you're saying, in part at least because for many years as a volunteer, I interviewed veterans and others on behalf of The Eisenhower Center at The University of New Orleans.

Most vets I talked with felt as your Uncle does.

I've a strong interest in WW II, particularly factors and events related to the war in northwest Europe. I was also a friend of Steve Ambrose for the last 20 or so years of his life.

It was Steve who "set me to work" on the interviewing.

Your Uncle is fortunate he has a nephew who appreciates his service.

And you are the richer for appreciating it.

Please with your uncle a blessed holiday. The same goes to you.

You’re adding a lot to this blog.

Thank you.

John