Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The Churchill Series – Jan. 10, 2007

(One of a series of weekday posts on the life of Winston S. Churchill.)

Historian and public policy analyst Steven Havward tells us in Churchill on Leadership: Executive Success in the Face of Adversity:

When Churchill went off to France [in 1915] to take a battalion command in the trenches in World War I, he knew that as a disgraced politician [following the collapse of the Dardanelles expedition which he had conceived and advocated], he might not get a warm welcome from the troops in the line. One of his subordinates described Churchill’s first meal with the officers’ mess:
It was quite the most uncomfortable lunch I have ever been at. Churchill didn’t say a word: he went right round the table staring each officer out of countenance. We had disliked the idea of Churchill being in command; now, have seen him, we disliked the idea even more.

At the end of lunch, he made a short speech: “Gentlemen, I am now your Commanding Officer. Those who support me, I will look after. Those who go against me, I will break. Good afternoon gentlemen.”
Nonetheless, Churchill quickly won over the affection and respect of his fellow officers and soldiers. Contrary to the initial impression that he would be a “tough guy,” he gained a reputation for leniency and generosity with his troops. He forgave minor offenses that other commanders punished strictly. He was especially indulgent of infractions by troops who had seen hard fighting. (p. 145)
I hope you’re back tomorrow when I’ll post further on Churchill’s WW I service in the trenches.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

John: I didn't see an email address for you, so I apologize for linking this to your comments. I ran accross your site, and noticed your tag line. A group of friends and I recently started a website http://www.towtoday.com as part of our broader business. Anyways, we might have a similar ideological take on the world, and it might be worth working together on some issues for the greatest exposure of reality. We are working to consolidate logical and thoughtful thinkers. Check out our site, and see what you think, if you have any interest in our purpose, contact me on the contact us page. Thanks. -Sam from The Orange Way LLC