Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Johnsville News: An appreciation

I don’t know if one or many produce Johnsville News, one of my “must visit daily” blogs. I can't even contact JN. It doesn't accept email.

For all I know, a Duke trustee(s) could be producing it as a kind of underground resistance to what President Brodhead, his “senior team,” and the faculty’s Group of 88 are doing to a university many of us love.

Whatever the case, JN puts out a fine blog. Along with Liestoppers it is, IMHO, one of the two best news and commentary aggregators on every aspect of the Hoax. If it’s part of what’s happening regarding the Hoax, those blogs mention it.

I’ve wanted to write JN for sometime but since I can’t reach JN, I’ll just say it here.

I’m glad JinC readers will see it, too.

Early in the Hoax case, JN named Crystal Gail Mangum. I thought that was a mistake.

I believe a rape accuser who goes to the police should be granted anonymity so long as the accuser doesn’t abuse what is really a privilege. After all, unlike police states, America is a country where we are supposed to have a right to face those who accuse us of crimes.

I didn’t say anything about what I saw as JN’s mistake. There were a couple of reasons for that.

One was that JN was doing so much good in the cause of exposing the Hoax and demanding decent government and justice in Durham , that I was reluctant to fuss with JN.

Another is that I’m often wrong. But I’ve learned that if I keep my eyes and ears open and my mouth shut, I’m able to at least reduce the frequency of my mistakes.

And that’s what happened regarding JN’s early naming of Crystal Mangum and my thinking it was a mistake.

I learned over time I was wrong. I wrote about how and why I learned I was wrong in “Fairness demands she be named.”

So I want to hat tip JN for naming Mangum early on when she and her family were granting interviews and she was cooperating in a frame-up of innocent people about whom Mangum knew she had made false charges.

JN's made me a little smarter. I won't go so long the next time an "anonymous victim" like Mangum comes along and moons the public.

As long as I’m saying nice words about JN, I want to call your attention to two JN posts:

The first is from last October but it’s “current” today regarding the concerns it raises about gangs, guns, and drugs in Durham.

It’s also an excellent example of in-depth reporting on Durham’s growing gang problem. Take a look at the post and ask yourself if you’ve seen anything as detailed and informative in either the Raleigh N&O or the Durham H-S.

And the second?

Well, you must know JN does wonderful spoofs.

A recent one: “North Carolina Media - 'Freedom of the Press' Award Winners.”

Red carpet and fanfares, please!

The honorees include:

For Best Adapted Work of Fictional Story Telling in support of a hoax

Reporters Anne Blythe and Samiha Khanna of the Raleigh News & Observer for their inflammatory and false March 25 story:
Dancer gives details of ordeal

A woman hired to dance for the Duke lacrosse team describes a night of racial slurs, growing fear and, finally, sexual violence
Other journalists honored include N&O executive editor for news Melanie Sill and Durham Herald Sun editor Bob Ashley.

Give the award list a look here. You’ll smile.

BTW - Are there any deserving journalists JN missed?

JN isn’t perfect. If you doubt that, just ask DA Nifong or Duke’s Professor Whaneema Lubiano.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are the any worthy journalists missed? How about Shadee Malaklou at the Chronicle, she has a column up about the case as it stands today, and let's just say it leaves a little bit to be desired when it comes to presenting the "facts" of this case.

Anonymous said...

I've read Johnsville News since March, and I've often wished I could thank whomever puts it together. If you talk with them, John, say thanks for me.

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much John and 1am anonymous! Certainly we all look forward to the day we wake up and find out this long horror story is over.

humboltblue, Shadee was not forgotten she is an award winner. And also just noticed that Ruth Sheehan acknowledged her award.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update Johnsville News, and JinC is right on the money about your site. There is no better resource for this case, you've got it all, from the hoax supporters to KC and all the rest who have shined a light on the actions of the DA and Gang O'88.