Saturday, February 17, 2007

Talking with Regulars & Readers – 2-17-07

Readers Note: This is a post in the old web log tradition: just “notes at the end of the day for others who understand the material.” John
____________________________________

JinC Regular and Churchill buff Corwin asked for more Churchill. Others have too.

I’ll post a response to that request in the next week or so. If I don’t, I count on Corwin to say, “Hey, John, remember you said …..”

Regarding the comment thread for “Professor Piot responded.”

I often say the much of the best JinC material is on the threads. That thread proves it.

Take a look if you haven’t already.

In terms of particular comments on that thread ---

Locomotive Breath at 8:18 and 8:40 AM and Anon at 12:47 PM self-identify as having backgrounds as academic journal editors. Their comments are very informative as regards Professor Piot’s inability to make the tape of his Feb. 12 ad hominem available so Professor Johnson and others can respond to Piot’s very serious charges directed at KC Johnson.

KC often looks in at JinC and reads the threads, so he may see the above referenced comments.

In any case, I’m sending him an email as soon as I finish this post calling those comments to his attention.

Re: Wayne Fontes’ comment. It’s “on point.”

But that’s not why I mention it.

Some time back Fontes commented at JinC and I misunderstood his purpose.

I posted an apologia, but the way the net works I’ve never known whether he saw my apol.

In any case, I was glad to see him back and commenting. I hope he lets me know if he sees this.

Kent posting as kbp said in part:

“You did a great job of challenging Piot to supply a record of his comments, but trusting what was reported by you & others that attended, I see no advantage for him to do so.”
I don’t know about the “great” part; and I felt I was really “urging” or “encouraging” Piot but Kent had “the heart” of what I was saying to Piot.

Anon@ 12:12 PM said: “I do suggest you meet with Prof. Piot regardless of his response (or lack thereof) to your questions. Any sort of dialogue with a member of the 88 is a significant step forward.”

Others have made similar comments.

I’ll say more but at this minute I’m being pulled by my wife to get ready meet friends for dinner.

I’ll be back tomorrow morning.

I hope HumboltBlue hangs in there. I want to say some things to him.

I’ll finish on this thread and respond to the Addison threads tomorrow.

Thank you.

John

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read it John. A lot of water has passed under the bridge since then.

It's just confirms what we already know about John that he is again apologiesing for something that happened three months ago. I posted a comment in sarcasm that, in what I am sure was a cursory reading , he mistook to be serious. John's "stinging" rebuke was to say he didn't agree with me but hoped I would continue to post.

The first apology wasn't necessary. I, like all of your readers, appreciate the enormous amount of time you have devoted to this effort.

Anonymous said...

"I, like all of your readers, appreciate the enormous amount of time you have devoted to this effort."

I'm with Wayne (and Wayne did you see the ESPN poll regarding who readers most wanted to see return to the playing field? Jordan, Sanders and two others were the choices, and by an overwhelming margin, readers chose Barry Sanders... what a player)

And John, I'm hanging around, this whole scenario is far too interesting to ignore.

Plus, I'll always hang out with those who want to discuss WW2, Churchill (even though he was a bastard to my Irish ancestors ... great grandma Browning always scowled when his name was mentioned).

Sticking with history for a sec (I'm a military history buff) ... but for a good read pick up "Stalingrad The Fateful Siege" by Anthony Beevor.

Best tome I have read about the battle, just be prepared to grab some maps off the net, for, like far too many good military books, it doesn't have enough maps.