Monday, August 04, 2008

Another Barack Obama-Paris Hilton comparison

Just days after MSM Team Obama, including network anchors, erupted over a McCain campaign “attack ad” because it compared Sen. Barack ("The One") Obama to celebrity Paris Hilton, we learn of another Obama-Hilton comparison.

The following’s from Mark Leibovich’s Feb. 24, 2005 adulatory profile in the Washington Post with my comments below the star line.

Leibovich begins - - -


There's nothing exotic or complicated about how phenoms are made in Washington, and, more to the point, how they are broken.

"Andy Warhol said we all get our 15 minutes of fame," says Barack Obama. "I've already had an hour and a half. I mean, I'm so overexposed, I'm making Paris Hilton look like a recluse." . . .

The entire Washington Post story’s here.

******************************************************

Comments:

If you listened to Team Obama’s whines and grievances about the McCain ad comparing Sen. Obama to Paris Hilton, are you surprised to learn Obama did it first?

I learned about Obama’s comparison of himself to Hilton when I read Seton Motley's post at Newsbusters.

He got a lot more in his post. I hope you give it a look.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

McCain's campaign ad "The One" is offensive. The "Christian Right" has mocked Christianity for years, so I don't blame McCain for losing respect for those so called faith based government parasites who have been collecting millions of tax payer dollars. (If Obama is elected I expect that the GOP will suddenly howl when Obama gives tax money to his own group of faith based government parasites.) However, my point is that the ad itself is in very poor taste because it mocks religion. If McCain believes Obama is setting himself up as a religious cult leader then the issue should be soberly presented and discussed with dignity. Cheap shots at religion are - well - cheap shots. "The One" ad looked to me like something an entertainment group such as The Onion, or Saturday Night Live would have produced. The words on the screen, the voice over, and Moses, played by Heston, were unmistakably religious references. "It should be known that in 2008 the world will be blessed" "He can do no wrong" "And the world shall receive His blessings" Who does McCain think he is kidding - this is not mocking Paris Hilton.

JWM said...

To Anon @ 8:45,

I didn't see "The One" as mocking religion.

I saw it as taking things very profound - religion and religious figures - and by invoking them, exposing the triteness of a candidate.

I didn't see where religion was ridiculed.

It's like when someone says of a candidate who's trying to get by one a smile, "Oh yes, the Pepsodent candidate."

The person isn't ridiculing the toothpaste.

John

Anonymous said...

St. Barack is like Paris Hilton and Britney Spears? You mean he doesn't wear panties either?
Tarheel Hawkeye

zonga said...

It is funny. It is cute. It is cerebral. I remember the movie.
McCain's TV producers could take a lesson from this Hillary spot:

VOTE FOR BARACK OBAMA PARODY SNL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
=BH2uqpQBaFc

N.B. How DO you make those slick live links appear here in the thread?