Thursday, November 27, 2008

Laughter at the Thanksgiving table

Do the adults in your family sit around the table after Thanksgiving dinner reminiscing and telling funny stories?

We do in mine. Here, clipped from JinC posts, are a few humorous anecdotes you might want to share with you family.

Whatever the case, I hope they leave you smiling.

John
_____________________________________



Isaaac Stern was being interviewed by Bill Moyers or some other self-important MSM-type who kept mentioning his age, 72 at the time, and asking Stern questions like: "As you look back at your career, what do ..." and "Do you have a favorite concert you'd like to be remembered for?"

Stern finally had enough.

"Look, I may be 72 but I don't think my career is over. And I feel like I'm just in the middle of my life. Of course, it would help if I knew someone who was 144."

Four Bill Buckley stories - - -

From my memory:

Buckley once said given a choice between being governed by the Harvard faculty or the first 500 people listed in the Boston phone directory, he'd go with the phone directory.

He received a letter from an irate National Review reader telling him in great detail what a miserable editor he was. The letter ended with "cancel my subscription."

Buckley wrote back that he certainly had shortcomings and would try to do better. But as for canceling the subscription, he told the reader, "Dammit, cancel it yourself."

These from a Jeff Jacoby column:

When asked why Robert Kennedy was refusing to appear on his Firing Line interview program, Buckley asked "Why does baloney resist the meat grinder?"

A National Review editorial comment began: "The attempted assassination of Sukarno last week had all the earmarks of a CIA operation. Everyone in the room was killed except Sukarno."

Enjoy Thanksgiving.

0 comments: